Topic Progress:

04. A different angle

Yesterday was a bit longer, more technical read. Probably a little bit dry. Necessary, but not really that fun.

So today, we’re giving you a break with the theory and encouraging you to have a little fun with angles. And if that sounds like geometry, don’t worry, it isn’t. There will be little to read but lots to do. And it’ll only take 5 minutes

Let me ask you this:

When you take photos of your little ones, how much do you move, in general? If you’re like a lot of us tired parents, probably not that much.

We snap a lot, but often there is not a huge amount of variety in our photos. I’ve had days with my kids where I’ve taken seemingly hundreds of photos and yet, when it comes to choosing the best one, it’s like wading through an endless list of very very similar angles and crops.

It’s often because I’m in a bit of a rut, and I’m already sitting down and maybe I just can’t think of any new ones in that very moment. #parentingishard

I’m sure many of you are seeing yourself in those words. But it’s really important to push past those ‘comfortable’ moments. To get down on the floor or up on a chair / tabletop ( SAFELY! ) to look up and look down and consider the world from an ants view because that is how we discover angles we never would have thought of and capture fresh perspectives, unique compositions.To get really, really close and step back.

Day 4 challenge

So here is your challenge.

First, find a timer
Egg timer or your phone – it does’t matter, but the timer bit is key.

What I want you to do is to set it for 5 minutes ( or as we call it in our house – “one Peppa Pig”). And as soon as it starts, you will have that amour of time to run around your child and take as many photos from as many angles and as many perspectives and heights and distances as you can. Any direction is game. Your child does not need to be looking at you. In fact, you can crop their face completely and just go for a faceless crop. Chop them in half vertically or horizontally – I don’t even care.

Do not stop to look back at your camera, do not worry about the photos being good or bad. You should be a little like a woman/man possessed, with frenzied shutter fingers.

And as soon as the timer stops, so do you. NOW you can review your pics. Most of them, I assure you will be bad. You’ll have missed the focus or the child will have been looking in the wrong place or your finger was on the lens ( it happens! )
But there will be a few that will make you go -aaah, I didn’t think of that angle before…

Look at the ones that looked interesting, that are different to your normal ones. Think about what makes them good. Take note of them.

And then, perhaps in the afternoon or later in the day, perhaps with a different child ( if you have a few) set the timer for 5 min and try again. This time, think a bit more about what you’re doing, if there were any angles, or distances you didn’t think about last time. Or just go fast and free like before – it doesn’t matter.

The Timer is key. It’s there to focus you but also, if you have an older child, it tells them that soon enough their mother/father will stop waving that camera in their face and they’ll be able to go back to what they were doing.

After all that, I’m going to ask you to select and post THREE PHOTOS ONLY to the Facebook group.

I know that with a few blocks of solid shooting, you may have hundreds to choose from and itching to post, but be strong, be tough and only go for 3. But make them – 3 photos that are not your usual crops, that are angles you don’t normally take, that are the best from this shooting spree.

I will be employing a bit of tough love myself and only commenting on the first 3 you post so make them count!

And if you need a little inspiration for the different angles, here is some from our students: